10 Everyday Foods You Didn’t Realize Were Vegan
While many vegan converts have difficulty adjusting to utilizing different protein sources and staying away from meat and dairy, others may struggle with finding snack foods that are compatible with their new diet. Here are a few snacks that are, in fact, vegan. Please note: These are not necessarily healthy choices (wouldn’t we all love to live in a world where it was perfectly okay to eat cookies for every meal), as much as they’re viable options.
- Oreos. That’s right, “milk’s favorite cookie” is vegan, even the cream in the middle.
- Fritos. No preservatives and low on ingredients, who would have thought?
- Life Cereal. Your childhood favorite was meat and dairy-free all along…well, if you didn’t eat it with cow’s milk.
- Hershey’s Syrup. Goes great in almond milk (just don’t overdo it)!
- Jello Instant Pudding (vanilla). A holiday favorite, creamy and perfectly fine for a vegan snack.
- Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat Pancake Mix. Vegan pancakes? Simply excellent. The syrup’s vegan too.
- Piñata Flour Tortillas. Perfect for preparing vegan burritos, tacos, and tostadas.
- Marie Callendar’s Frozen Fruit Pies. Delicious and a big surprise – it’s hard to believe they’re made without eggs and butter.
- Cracker Jacks. Not so sure about the prize in every box, though.
- Clif Bars. Most Clif bars are vegan, and many are even gluten-free (the Kit’s Organic line, for example).
There you have it – ten foods that are perfectly vegan when snack time rolls around – and most all of them are readily available at any grocery store. While care-free snacking isn’t necessarily healthy in all circumstances, it’s better to know that there are foods out there that are compatible with your diet, especially in a pinch.