Top 10 "Super Foods"
After scouring the internet for a variety of designated “super foods” and toning down the various lists into ten foods that are easily attainable in whole, organic form (and fairly inexpensive), the following is a list of ten fantastic super foods that offer a variety of health benefits (high vitamin content, minerals, and/or antioxidants):
- Kale – Beta-carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, calcium. Anti-cancer, DNA repair.
- Blueberries – Manganese, vitamin C, vitamin K, fiber. Anti-cancer, blood pressure regulation, increased brain functionality.
- Almonds – Vitamin E, protein, fiber, B vitamins, magnesium, copper, manganese, calcium, and potassium. Reduce risk of heart disease.
- Black beans – Protein, fiber. Digestive health, blood sugar regulation, cardiovascular health.
- Quinoa – Complete source of protein, fiber, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, calcium. Anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant.
- Avocado – Diverse fats, protein, fiber. Anti-cancer, lower risk of diabetes.
- Sweet potatoes – Complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese, and potassium. Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, blood sugar regulation.
- Tomatoes – Carotene lycopene, vitamin C, vitamin A, anthocyanin. Antioxidant, anti-cancer, anti-neurodegenerative.
- Chile peppers – Vitamin C, carotene, B vitamins, vitamin B6, potassium, magnesium, iron. Anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant.
- Pomegranate – Vitamin C, vitamin K, polyphenols, fiber. Anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant.
Each of the 10 “super foods” listed offers a variety of nutritional value, and can be easily welcomed into any almost any diet. Foods like almonds, black beans, avocado, and quinoa can be used to supplement protein in a vegan diet. The best part of this list? None of the foods are restricted to pill or juice-form, enjoy them raw or cooked.